Habib’s Case

Remembrance of Habib Ullah

Habib ‘Paapu’ Ullah died on Thursday 3rd July 2008 during a stop and search by Police Officers on a vehicle in a car park in High Wycombe at approximately 7.15pm. He was 39 years old and leaves behind a young family.

We are concerned how a man can die in the process of being arrested and how he came to have breathing difficulties. There is an Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation taking place into his death.

Visit this site for updates or sign-up for updates by email.
‘NO JUSTICE – NO PEACE’ (Annual United Families Protest & Rally)>
Habib Ullah Facebook group >

One of the many press reports:

Cops under investigation after Habib Ullah died
originally published: 13th August 2008
all credits:  Slough & Langley Observer

Five police officers are under investigation after a married dad-of three died following a stop and search. The PCs were served with a Regulation 9 Notices which means their conduct is being examined after they stopped Habib Ullah, 39, of Arbourfield Close, Slough, who soon suffered breathing problems and then later died.

The officers remain on duty and have already provided witness statements to the Independent Police Complaint Commission (IPCC) which is looking into the death.

Childhood friend Zia Ullah, said: “This is a real positive step forward in our eyes. People may have doubted the campaign before but now everyone is coming on board. That fact that five police officer are now being formally investigated means we’ll hopefully get the justice we want.”

Initial findings into the sudden death reveal that Mr Ullah had been stopped along with two others under the Misuse Of Drugs Act in High Wycombe. Officers seized a package – which is still being examined – but while Mr Ullah was being restrained he started suffering from breathing problems during the incident on Thursday, July 3.

Mike Franklin, IPCC commissioner, said: “Our investigation is progressing well and identified witnesses have now been interviewed. The actions of five Thames Valley Police officers are currently under investigation. We are still awaiting the results of toxicology tests on the packages removed from Mr Ullah’s body and the pathologist’s report confirming cause of death.

“However we are still keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time this incident occurred. It has been indicated to me there are witnesses who remain unwilling to talk to the IPCC. I would therefore like to reiterate, to these people in particular, that our investigation is completely independent of the police and urge them to contact our witness appeal.”

Anyone with more information should call 0800 096 9075 or email ullahappeal@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk for more information.